Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Playlist: Best of Jay-Z

At the end of last year, Jay-Z released Kingdom Come, his "comeback" album. I hated it when first heard it, so I put it on the shelf for a couple of weeks, hoping that I might listen to it later and change my mind. Didn't happen. Kingdom Come is a terrible album, at least by Jay’s standards.

As one of his biggest fans, it has taken me a couple of months to truly acknowledge just how bad this album is. But as a law student on a fixed income, the value-conscious side of me feels compelled to save everyone reading this column $11.88 on their iTunes account. “Lost One” and “30 Something” are the only tracks worth purchasing. Both are classic Jay cuts—stories about told with enough wit, arrogance, and irony to make you believe they really happened to him (or his persona).

But two hits only makes you want more and the rest of the album just doesn’t deliver. So in order to get my fix, I decided to put together a Best of Jay-Z playlist that represents a balance of his radio joints, his introspective joints, and his “my life as a hustler” joints. Enjoy.

  1. Izzo
  2. So Ghetto
  3. Ain’t No N*gga
  4. Fiesta Remix
  5. Girls, Girls, Girls (remix)
  6. Hard Knock Life
  7. Lucifer
  8. Big Pimpin’
  9. Excuse Me Miss Again (remix)
  10. 30 Something
  11. What More Can I Say
  12. D’Evils
  13. Allure
  14. All I Need
  15. This Can’t Be Life
  16. Heart Of the City
  17. Can I Live

No comments: